Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 03:20:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   gated 3.5.11

Due to ports/net/gated being marked as "forbidden", my requirement for it,
and a quick search of the mailing lists, ....

hawk:/usr/ports/net/gated# make
===>  gated-3.5.11 is forbidden: Security hole (buffer overflow possibly
yielding root).
hawk:/usr/ports/net/gated#

There was a message ~Dec 1 about a wheel-exploitable bug in gdc...  Seems
to me that the only risk is for people that get wheel group access (or
so....  a wee bit too much brain-numbing beverage at this point in
time. :) )...  If I'm willing to take this risk, is there some other
reason why this port is marked as forbidden?  Or is there something else I
can't find pointing to a "possibly yielding root" bug (my understanding
being that "yielding root" means there's a bug in there allowing some
inside or outside joker to get root privs...)  If you need a valid account
to start with, that's not a problem - telnetd & friends probably won't be
running on this machine to start with -- just a serial console...

thanks - mike