Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 23:55:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk (Dominic Mitchell)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Configure considered Harmful

> > Even given the existance of the evil "configure" program I really
> > doubt the Apache people aren't (very) wise to this.
>
> Evil configure program?
>
> I find gnu configure scripts to be a blessing, but I'm merely an
> administrator...
>
> Please explain what is so awful about them.

It's a program that abstracts platform specific things from the
sight of the programmer.  This has several things wrong with it:

1)	It duplicates the effort that created Imake before
	configure ever existed.

2)	It puts the knowledge about the platform in the
	script, instead of in the tool that does the
	generation (i.e. like Imake), which means that:

	a)	it has a hard time recognizing new
		platforms

	b)	you have to tell it about new platforms
		for each program, instead of once (i.e.
		as in "the one time you port Imake")

3)	It put things out of the sight of the programmer,
	increasing the liklihood that the programmer will
	not take per-platform algorithmic abstraction into
	account in their design.

4)	By way of #3, we are breeding a whole generation of
	performance tweaking ignorant programmers.

5)	It generates Makefiles that do macro expansion of
	macros, so that the resulting Makefile required
	GNU make to run, instead of the standard make.

6)	It, itself, has such a macro, and requires GNU make
	to build.

7)	It put things out of the sight of the programmer
	(I know this is a repeat, but it's so horrible that
	it has to be said again).

As always, your mileage may vary.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org