Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 23:46:00 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        sos@freebsd.dk
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for testers of new ATA driver patches

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 02:01 am, you wrote:
| It seems Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:
| > Would I be correct in understanding that this should allow me to use my
| > hot-swappable secondary disk drive without rebooting?
|
| Yups
|
| > I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop with a drive that can go in the
| > secondary bay so I'd love to test this for your . . . unfortunately, I'm
| > still at 4.5-RC so I will probably need to update my system before I can
| > really try it out.
|
| I think it applies to 4.5 also, if not it should be easy to fix...
|
| -Søren

I'm not sure if I did something wrong with upgrading, but the ata device did
not make into my /dev/MAKEDEV file.  It is in my /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV file,
but not in the /dev/MAKEDEV file.  I did the usual make buldworld / make
kernel / reboot / make installworld sequence.  Mergemaster found nothing to
merge, which is unsurprising since I didn't upgrade, I just integrated your
patchfile (which patched my source tree without error so I figured that was
ok).

But once I created the device (I actually read the patchfile to figure out
where it was and just issued the proper "mknod" by hand), it works great!

My hot-swappable secondary hard drive is now hot-swappable under FreeBSD!

This is *very* cool, and the timing was perfect -- I was just about to post
asking if this was possible when your post showed up.

I've only been using it for oh . . . ten minutes now so system stablity
hasn't really been tested all that thorougly, but I was able to boot with it
out and then insert, reinit the channel, and properly mount it.

Very cool!

(Did I mention that I'm happy with it?)

System:  Dell Inspiron 8000.  Tested with the 20G secondary hard drive in the
Media Bay.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org