Date:      Mon, 06 Jul 1998 11:25:26 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        dannyman <dannyman@dannyland.org>
Cc:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New ports scheme

> It might be irritating to have a directory on one's system containing 30,000
> files, or even 1500 files ... especially if you're the FTP server distrbuting
> the files in question ... we do imagine a day when FreeBSD has really taken
> off and the ports collection has grown to an awesome, scarey size, and we've
> planned for it to scale happily, ya? :)
Well, 1500 files isn't too bad...
30000 would suck :)

> A DB would still be nice.  "Multiple categories" could be kludged into the fs
> with symlinks. :)
Yeah, but you could do that with the old system!

> Of course, with a DB interface, there's no compelling reason to keep several
> hundred tarballs on your system in the first place. ;)
Hrmm.. true..
But doing it my way would make the DB less vulnerable to being toasted..
Acatully Satoshi had a point when he said changing it would make life hellish
for commiters :-/

|Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software |
|http://www.gsoft.com.au                                            |
|The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to|
|choose from. -- Andrew Tanenbaum                                   |