Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 01:00:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/34758: Irrelevant comment in killall(1) manpage

The following reply was made to PR docs/34758; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To: "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc: Jakob Borg <jakob@borg.pp.se>, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org,
	Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:50:58 +0200

 On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 06:33:29PM -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
 > Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
 >
 > > Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 02:36:20 +0200 (EET)
 > >
 > >  Jakob Borg wrote:
 > >
 > >  > The manpage for killall(1) says:
 > >  >
 > >  >        Be warned that  typing  killall  name  may  not  have  the
 > >  >        desired  effect on non-Linux systems, especially when done
 > >  >        by a privileged user.
 > >  >
 > >  > which, while perhaps correct, is not relevant for a FreeBSD system. Also,
 > >  > the operating system kernel in use at a particular system should not influence
 > >  > the behavior of killall.
 > >
 > >  Well the point the author is trying to make is that on Solaris (and
 > >  probably other systems) typing "killall" in a prompt is a surprise in
 > >  itself, because it REBOOTS the system !!!
 >
 > 1) The PR says it's on "FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE i386", but
 > http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=killall&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+4.5-STABLE&format=html
 > doesn't have the text quoted.  (I was wanting to look at a different
 > display format.)  Is there a problem with with the CGI thing or with
 > the PR or me?

 This is a fun one: I guess the submitter made the same mistake I did
 once before.  The manual page in question, containing the Linux-specific
 text, comes from the sysutils/psmisc port :)  This is not a FreeBSD
 problem, this is a problem of the psmisc package and should be brought
 up with the psmisc author, Werner Almesberger
 <werner.almesberger@lrc.di.epfl.ch>.

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
 Thit sentence is not self-referential because "thit" is not a word.