Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 1996 12:25:18 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@glacier.cold.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AHA 2940UW? Linux works..

Brandon Gillespie writes:
>I REALLY need help with this, our server is continually rebooting since we
>installed the AHA 2940UW controller and new UltraSCSI drive.  It is not a

Have a look at ahc(4), /usr/src/sys/pci/aic7870.c, etc.  There are serveral
options to play with.

The 2940's got lots of knobs in the <ctrl-a> bootup menu too, one is
to disable ultra, maybe that'll do it...  ahc(4) warns
about some drives (Quantum?) not working properly if the speed is set
to wide open.

I just got a QuickTech motherboard with on-board aic7860; it's not quite
as good as the stand alone version, but it seems ok.  I haven't done
a `make world' yet, but several kernel compiles.

What version of FBSD are you running?  I've got problems using 2.1.5 with
a Quantum ultra scsi driver on the ncr driver... it won't even boot.  But
-current/2.2 works fine.  It's not a problem because we're going to use
2.2 anyway...

>-Brandon Gillespie

eric.
--