Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 16:55:24 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        the_reman@hotmail.com (Chris Day)
Cc:        l.rizzo@iet.unipi.it, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, the_reman@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: your mail

> Luigi (and others),
>
> I have a tiny problem getting my soundcard to work under FreeBSD.  Yes,
> it is the infamous OPTi 82C931.  I actually have a proper OPTi
> soundcard, so I thought, stupidly, that it might be easy to get it to
> work.

I don't like this card very much, because it cost me way too much time
to implement workarounds for incomplete documentation and idisincracies
of the board. But since i have several of these cards, and it is
hard to get any other MSS board here, it is definitely supported :)

> Anyway, I installed pnp971020.tgz source patched the files, then
> installed the snd980215.tgz source and patched the files.  Then I
> included various bits, compiled, then no matter what I tried it didn't
> work.
  pnp 1 1 os enable port0 0x534 port2 0x220 port3 0xe0d irq0 10 drq0 1 drq1 6

i checked on my system and the device is configured as follows:

CSN LDN conf en  irq  drq vendor_id. ....
  1   1 BIOS y  10 -  1 6 0x3109143e port 0x534 0x380 0x220 0xe0d
  1   2 BIOS n   - -  - - 0x3109143e port 0x201
  1   3 BIOS n   - -  - - 0x3109143e

however, another card i have requires 0xe0c as port3 address. This is
undocumented in the opti931 docs, and i found out by looking at
the pnpinfo output.

One more thing, i think the opti931 can be hardwired (and perhaps
programmed -- i am not sure about this) to disable PnP. For the
hardwired solution, maybe your card has a jumper to do this. For
the software, you should look at the data sheets if they give any
hint.

	cheers
	luigi