Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 08:35:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      michael squires <mikes@nickel.ucs.indiana.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DAT tape drives

The changeover from DDS to DDS-2 tapes has resulted in a lot of DAT
tape drives being dumped on the surplus market.  I'm not in the
California area (any more) so I don't know what's availalble there,
or in some other large urban area, but:

JEM Computers (has a Web site, but it changed names recently and the
old site is currently down) sells the Conner autoloader for $495 and
the 12-DAT cartridge for $100.  These appear to be unused.  They
are said to be usable as a single tape drive but would be difficult
to load; they come with a 4-DAT cartridge.  The same drive is also
sold, at the same price, by Corporate Systems Center (www.corpsys.com)
but the 12-DAT cartridge is $200.  Both companies have also sold
single DAT drives from time to time.

CSC is also currently selling the Seagate ST43400N for aboout $330, new/
unused, with a 1 year warranty.

I've bought stuff from both companies with no problems.