Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 13:36:13 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD have a problem with some AMD processors?

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 06:10:09PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> I've been using AMD processors almost exclusively in my main work
> machines for over 4 years, and I've been very happy with them.  I'm
> currently running a K6/233, a K6/333, an Athlon 750, a Duron 850 and
> an Athlon XP 1700.  Last August, though, I bought a machine which gave
> me a lot of trouble, the Duron 850 mentioned above.  I found that it
> would freeze for no apparent reason.  I established that it wasn't the
> memory by taking the memory of another machine and running it like
> that; it made no difference.  I ended up also changing the motherboard
> and the processor, but the hangs continued.   I could expect a hang
> within 8 hours when doing 'make release'

What I noticed for socketA boards is that they tend to be extremely picky
about the memory you feed them. And this is not an ElCheapo mainboard,
this is an Asus. Asus is my experience has good mainboards.
All sorts of weird crashes, sometimes only after hours of buildworld-stress
testing. Keeping everything else the same but swapping the memory
solved the issue once and for all.

Really weird.

Wilko