Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:55:31 +0100
From:      Ulrich Spoerlein <q@uni.de>
To:        Florian Huebner <florian@love2party.net>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Again about Dell Inspiron 8x00

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

On Tue, 11.01.2005 at 13:02:12 +0100, Florian Huebner wrote:
> Hey folks!
>=20
> I'm heavily using my Dell 8k6 with freebsd releng_5 only. At the moment I=
'm=20
> not that in to ACPI stuff, but I played around a bit and was really=20
> dissattisfied with some issues:=20
> First of all the thermal zones can't be configured as I would like to. It=
's=20
> possible to give values to the _ACx syscons, but they won't affect anythi=
ng=20
> for it's not possible to toggle the active switch. This has the effect th=
at=20
> my fan turns on at about 38=B0C (way to early for a centrino) and - this =
is=20
> worst - never stops. I'm not sure about acpi in this case. I often read a=
bout
> erroneous aml tables, dumped mine but couldn't read anything out of it.

My fan's high setting kicks in at 70C and stays high, until the
temperature drops to 40C.  It doesn't ever enter 'low' in FreeBSD. But I
didn't set any thermal flags, they don't seem to work that well. Yours
however are seriously broken, which BIOS version are you running on?

First of all, when the fan is spinning, tz0.active is still -1 and
second: this laptop should have two thermal zones (CPU and GPU) as
reported under Windows.

> S3 doesn't work here, too. At the moment it doesn't change anything at al=
l if=20
> I close the display (and by doing so press the switch). But it did before=
=2E=20
> There were some problems with bringing back my XDesktop, but at least it =
did=20
> something. Is it possible to toggle this behaviour by syscon or anything=
=20
> related?

devd(8) is your friend. Make sure to load acpi_video via loader.conf,
then put this into /etc/devd.conf
notify 10 {
        match "system"          "ACPI";
        match "subsystem"       "Lid";
        action  "/sbin/sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active=3D$notify";
};

If you want to enter S1 on lid-close, set hw.acpi.lid_switch_state or
use devd.

> I was told about a windows tool, I8KFANGUI (http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/)=
,=20
> which sounded to me like it was interesting to port or at least to look a=
t.=20
> But on the page it's said that the tool was allready ported to *BSD by Da=
mir=20
> Lampa, the provided link is dead.

I got a copy when the link was still up, coming via PM. I just now
tested the program the first time. Core dump :(

> Where to start? I would like to put some time and code into that, but so =
far=20
> didn't really get a got starting point ...=20

Try this one, would be a killer to have a working acpi_dell sometime in
the not too distant future.

Ulrich Spoerlein
--=20
 PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B  2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44
Ok, which part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."
didn't you understand?

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm--