Date:      29 Jul 1998 08:43:17 -0700
From:      Frank McConnell <fmc@reanimators.org>
To:        Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        Frank McConnell <fmc@reanimators.org>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Robert Swindells <swindellsr@genrad.co.uk>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD PCNet/FAST cards; suppliers?

Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU> wrote:
> If the chip *does* work in native PCI mode, maybe we should
> concentrate on bringing up the controller in direct PCI mode.  I don't
> have the relevent chip specs, but if you can tell me anything I'll be
> happy to help.

If it's IC data sheets you're looking for, webulate to:

http://www.amd.com/products/npd/techdocs/techdocs.html

Bring a PDF reader, you'll need it.

I've given the register-set for the 79C970A a cursory reading and
there seems to be some notion of a software-style setting that can be
used to make the chip behave like previous AMD Ethernet chips.  My
first thought was that maybe the Hitachi BIOS is doing some of the
chip setup, but I don't understand what it would do that would let the
lnc code work with the device-as-ISA-unit work but not as-PCI-unit.
And I still don't get this:

>As far as I can tell, there's no support for using the Hitachi's
>internal PCI lance board in native PCI mode, so the card can only be
>used in ISA emulation mode.

What led you to that conclusion?

-Frank McConnell