Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 17:07:47 -0800
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.COM>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   motherboard and Ethernet card recommendations

I hope this is not so frequently asked a question that I'm being
annoying, but I would appreciate any words of wisdom regarding
Pentium motherboard and Ethernet card selection for a FreeBSD machine.

The criteria for the motherboard are:

	* rock solid stable;
	* no buggy chipsets or goofy cache coherency problems;
	* no weird hardware limitations.

The criteria for the Ethernet card are:

	* rock solid stable;
	* excellent performance (should be able to keep up with
	basically a full-speed Ethernet packet stream);
	* excellent, very stable FreeBSD device driver.

A secondary goal is to have a non-brain-damaged BIOS that can be
configured so that the machine will boot without a keyboard, and
ideally without a graphics card.

Note that cost is *not* a primary concern, though of course I'm not
intent on spending any money I don't need to.

I'd be happy to take responses by email, and summarize to the list,
if that's appropriate.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.