Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 21:55:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rudy Rucker <rudy@pollo.monkeybrains.net>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: size of root (was Re: Debugging Kernel....)

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> Perhaps its time to up the default suggested size of / ?  In this day and
> age of 13G IDE drives, having 150MB for root would be a more safe value no
> ? On the machines I configure I generally give myself this much at least.

Perhaps, the install should look at how big the drive is and adjust the
defaults to fit the drive (ala the swap partitions adjustment to
2x the amount of RAM installed during configuration).

I run a small ISP; here is the layout I used for a new box:
 /        64M
 /usr   3000M
 /var    100M
 /data1 1500M   (mail / web logs)
 /data2 4000M   (html documents / web content)

Splitting out all the web 'data' makes chroot() for ftp work real well.

2 cents.
Rudy