Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 17:17:04 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world error in RELENG_2_2

At 01:39 PM 6/19/97 -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> If there is nothing wrong, why were so many people having problems all of a
>> sudden?  I would say the lack of the login.conf in /etc was a 'problem'...
>
>That was a problem.  Our problem. However, in every single case that
>I've seen the world target falling over so far, it has been:
>
>	a) A 2.2.x tree splatted on top of a previous generation src
>	   tree (and that's bad).
>
>	b) A bogus cvsup file, missing some crucial section of the
>	   source code (src-all is a good target and highly recommended).
>
>	c) Stale depends or includes.

You have sort of proved my point... As I said before, I try and follow the
mailling lists as closely as possbile for any caveats / changes to the
cvsup process... My sup file consists of the following

*default tag=RELENG_2_2
*default host=cvsup.freebsd.org
*default prefix=/usr
*default base=/usr
*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix
src-all
src-eBones
src-secure

Since there is precious little docs on the make world process, I have
generally assumed that make world will do everything that is necessary to,
well, make world (except for /etc, which is clear why you dont want to do
that)... I had to learn the hard way about deleteing /usr/include, and the
stale depends issue.  Again, I assumed that make world would take care of
these issues (and so did other users)... Perhaps a different target name,
or a change in functionality of the target world would help here...  My
problems of a few Saturdays ago were due to c)...

>Also note that RELENG_2_2 recently switched from SHARED=symlinks
>to SHARED=copies by default.  This is not a 'problem' to be fixed
>so much as a change to simply be cognizant of, and if you've any
>doubts then blow away /usr/include and start over with a make includes;
>in all cases, the solution is fairly simple when you think about it.

Its simple now :-)

Look, I am really hesitant to be critical about the FreeBSD project because
its such an amazing OS.  (I am still amazed at what is produced strickly by
volunteer efforts... )  Although I would guess the majority of people dont
rebuild their OS from scratch, this area seems like it could use a little
more clarification in either the docs, or in an FAQ.  Better yet, as part
of the CVSUP process, perhaps checkout a file that contains notes on any
critical changes that would effect the build process... like blow away
/usr/include and rebuild first etc...

Even a simple section in the handbook after the CVSUP docs about the make
world process would help alot... I would volunteer, but I certainly do not
consider myself an expert...

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)        *