Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:50:59 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: feature request for xargs

On Friday 21 June 2002 06:20 pm, Terry Lambert wrote:
= Mikhail Teterin wrote:
= > On Friday 21 June 2002 11:09 am, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
= > = Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com> writes:
= > = > All operations, involving many light tasks can benefit, i.e.
= > = >
= > = >     find /some/dir \! -type d -print0 | xargs -0 -j0 rm -f
= > =
= > = find /some/dir \! -type d -delete
= >
= > Wouldn't this be slower, since find will be waiting for the delete
= > to complete (yes, I know about the racing)?
=
= Give up. 8-).

Ok, ok. One last attempt...

= It's a bad example. There are good examples. But the delete example,
= trading an "rm" for a fork+exec and an async rm doesn't win. The
= problem is that the parent directory is going to be locked against
= other processes during the rm anyway.

My calculations are, the number of files in one directory (on average)
will be far below the maximum number of arguments. So all files in a
usual directory will be processed sequentionally by one of the many rm-s.

= Pick one of the good examples, like the script that wants to run on
= "*.jpg" or whatever, and fight the fight there.
=
= Personally, that example sold me on the idea that adding "-j" to xargs
= is potentially useful, rather than merely harmless and redundant.

Glad you liked it :-)

	-mi