Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 12:20:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      zhihuizhang <bf20761@binghamton.edu>
To:        hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FFS questions

I am reading the source code in fs.h and the parameter fs_cpc confuses me.

The comment says it is the number of cylinders per *cycle* in position
table.  What does the "cycle" mean?   Basically the position table is
used to space out contiguous logical blocks on the disk so that when
the disk head moves to the next block, CPU has already initiates a new
transfer request for exactly that block.  But how can we measure the
time it takes CPU (time-sharing by processes) to service an interrupt
and initiate a new I/O?  Is the disk always moving around at constant
speed? When does the disk generate an interrupt? After it finish DMA a
block or a sequence of contiguous blocks specified by the CPU's request?

Any help is appreciated.