Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 21:11:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Eric D. Futch" <efutch@nyct.net>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB broken?

Oh hehe damn did it again.  Keep getting my lists mixed up.  This machine
is running 3.4-stable and I should have probably posted this to -stable.
Sorry about that... but I really do have 4.0-current running on another
machine.. so I'm not totally crazy :)

--
Eric Futch              New York Connect.Net, Ltd.
efutch@nyct.net         Technical Support Staff

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Bill Paul wrote:

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Eric D. Futch
had to walk into mine and say:

> I'm running -current that's about a week old.

Erm... are you sure? I'm having trouble believing you.

>  I configed my kernel for
> USB support.  After turning on the USB interface in BIOS kernel panics
> after it probes uchi0.  Below is the panic screen, I don't have much else
> to go on.
>
> ---
> uhci0: <Intel 82371SB USB Host Controller> rev 0x01 int d irq 10 on pci0.7.2>
> kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

See this kernel probe output here? This is not from a 4.0-CURRENT
kernel from a week ago. This is what the probe output from a recent
-current system should look like:

uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> irq 11 at device 7.2 on pci0

Notice the difference? It's been like that for a *long* time now.
Therefore I can only conclude that either you're not actually running
-current, or else you thought it would be okay to substitute in a really
stale entry from a system log file from a 3.x system. Either way, you
need to re-evaluate the situation and provide more info.

Now rather than being vague, go back and show us what uname -a says
on this allegedly -current system and show it to us. Show us the
*entire* dmesg output too, while you're at it.

Furthermore, you should be able to test USB support without recompiling
the kernel. All you need to do is kldload usb. That will load the usb.ko
kernel module, which should find the UHCI controller.

>From the panic message you showed here, you're using SMP. Have you
tested it with a UP kernel? (Yes, it's supposed to work either way,
but it would be nice if you would just test it to rule out some sort
of SMP-related condition.)

What you should do is this:

- Compile a kernel with options DDB, but *WITHOUT* USB support.
- Boot this kernel.
- Type kldload usb
- See if the system crashes.
- If it does, it will drop into the debugger.
- Type 'trace'
- Report what it says.

-Bill