Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 1995 20:54:17 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Gary Roberts <gary@wcs.uq.oz.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gating hackers into the newsgroups

> I'm working on an announcement at the moment.  I'll send it to you for
> final vetting.  I'll expect someone (other than myself) to take final
> responsibility for the content of that message.

I'll do the final editing and take responsibility - no sweat.

> So do we just remind helpees that when they feel _comfortable_ about it
> they will be followed up and asked to take on another new user?

Essentially, yes.  You'll be basically making an appeal to everyone's
good nature and _strongly suggesting_ that people who've enjoyed the
benefits of the service contribute something at some point.

Sort of like the blood banks do.  Not that I'm sure I like that
particular simile.. :-)

I'd even go one step further and suggest that you can even do this via
some sort of mail rendevous system that tracks when a question has
gone unanswered for some time - this is generally done by imbeding a
"converstation ID" in the message that's generated when the newbie is
first assigned to an answerer.  If you detect that no response has
been generated in <n> hours, you automatically send it on to the next
person in the helpers queue.  This is exactly how "The USENET Oracle"
works, incidently (and I challenge anyone here to identify any of the
3 of my contributions that made it into the Oracularities.. :-) [Except
you, Michael! :)]

> I'll start `by hand' but if anyone volunteers to automate it, or has ideas
> for automation, I certainly won't turn you away.

Well, see above.. :-)

> Yeah, so far I'm willing to try.  I'll wait just a bit to see what other
> reactions come to the surface.  While I'm waiting, if anyone is willing
> to `adopt a newbie', just drop me a short note.  I've just cleared 100meg
> on my disk to receive the flood of applications :->.

And if this number doesn't grow appreciably, yell!  I think that Julian
is right about this requiring a substantial amount of initial noise
to get started, but get started it should and will!

						Jordan