Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:04:56 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        new-bus@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Asking the musical question...

In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9910142057000.306-100000@salmon.nlsystems.com> Doug Rabson writes:
: Assuming the drivers have a way of recognising the device instance as one
: of their own (e.g. by checking PnP IDs for isa), this is the best way to
: do it.

Right now pccardd makes this determination.  It knows, from its config
files, that a driver supports a given card.  So I was going to have
the probe routine be a strcmp between the driver's name and the named
passed down from pccardd.  That way the old-style pccard driver's
probe routines will only match the right one, and the new style are
free to do other things if so desired.

: For 'unnamed' devices, the system presents the device to all
: drivers in the parent's devclass and chooses the one which returns the
: highest probe value. If the device is named (e.g. "sio") it will only be
: presented to drivers whose name matches.

OK.  Sounds like how I wanted to go, so I'll keep going down that
path.  This should make doing a sio driver fairly simple...

Warner