Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 23:47:45 +0100
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        Bill Huey (Hui) <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, "John L. Utz III" <john@utzweb.net>, Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, rwatson@freesbsd.org, calvin.austin@sun.com, brian@collab.net, bod@freebsdfoundation.org, "Bill Huey (Hui)" <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: patchset 2 report (billh's resignation)

On donderdag, feb 6, 2003, at 21:29 Europe/Amsterdam, Bill Huey (Hui)
wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 10:41:24AM -0800, John Polstra wrote:
>> Bill's public attack on me stems from those e-mails.  They contain
>> the history of this issue.  In transforming a simple, everyday
>> hiring decision into a public attack on the FreeBSD Foundation and
>> on me personally, Bill threw the rules of etiquette out the window.
>
> BS, you have a responsibility to the greater FreeBSD community to make
> sure and that input is listened to and then acted upon appropriately.
> You failed when you did this behind everybody's back, not just me.
> You failed the entire group.

[inflamatory reply to John's explanation cut out]

Come on you two, you aren't communicating. John you still haven't
addressed the issue why you don't reply to Bill's comments, it's only
making things worse, do you want it to detoriate at this rate.

If you'd just say "Bill you're an **** for insulting me the way that
you do, but I have since researched the mailing list and commit logs
and acknowledge that you have made a big contribution to the whole java
porting process and more specifically to the hotspot port, and we would
have certainly consulted you had I known."

Now is that so hard?

You should realize that you can't handle this in the proffesional way
that you'd like, and perhaps are used to in the commercial world out
there. This is a volunteer project and as Jeff Schnitzer said,
recognition plays a great part as a motivator for doing the work.

It's almost unbelievable that you didn't research the java project (and
mailing lists) to find out what is going on. Had you done that you
would have quickly realised Bill's role.

While we're at it Bill, why do you keep using this much abusive
language, it's not making things better, quite the contrary.

Regards,
Marc.