Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:32:48 -0500
From:      "SILVER, MICHAEL A" <MSILVER@scana.com>
To:        "'freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'Keith Davey'" <kdavey@gus33.homeip.net>, "'David Johnson'" <djohnson@acuson.com>
Subject:   RE: Newbie packages

I think the key would not be to tell them to use XXX or YYY, but that XXX is
real popular and give the advantages.  This allows the newbie to explore the
ports section in a semi-guided fashion.  Let the newbie try vi and dump it
if they don't like it, as long as they learn there are 50 other TE's
available to them in the ports.

When I was first setting up FreeBSD (I am still a newbie), I had a lot of
trouble figuring out which of the ports/packages were worthwhile.  I would
much rather have a nice article on each of the popular or more useful ports.
I make use of maybe 0.05% of the ports, simply because I don't whats there
and what is worthwhile.  I am still amazed that I never knew of the vnc
port!

...Michael...