Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 2011 18:37:33 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        threads@freebsd.org, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Patch] C1X threading support

--------------enigD4679509587AA80EFD2E8B74

On 12/19/11 18:09, Warner Losh wrote:
>=20
> On Dec 19, 2011, at 3:57 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>=20
>> In message <201112191152.22907.tijl@coosemans.org>, Tijl Coosemans wri=
tes:

>>> Yes, but rather than having the programmer remember when to swap byte=
s,
>>> it would be better if he could just declare a variable big/little
>>> endian and have the compiler figure it out.
>>
>> You'd think so, wouldn't you ?
>=20
> Intel has a compiler that allows one to declare things are big or littl=
e endian and then things work.  A certain large router vendor used it to =
port its software that was big endian only at a very deep layer to Intel =
x86...
>=20
> Linux marks things as beXX or leXX and uses static analysis to prevent =
mixing.
>=20
> There's a lot of prior art for the committee to choose from.
>=20
> Warner
>=20

A silly question:

How is the other BSD sibbling, NetBSD, dealing with such things? NetBSD
is supposed to run on a trmendous variety of hardware, even a mixture of
bigendian and littleenddian and I'm quite sure they must have overcome
this probleme anyway.

Regrads,
Oliver