Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:26:07 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Kenzo <kenzo_chin@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: backup

Kenzo wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out the best way to backup my server.
> I don't have a CD burner, tape drive or other media to write backup to.
> So what I want to do, is connect to my other comp with cd burner and that
> runs on WinXP.
> I was thinking of using shlight since It seems to work good.
> In Webmin under backup you can issue a command to perform before and after
> the backup.
> I tried to set it up to mount the windows command before the backup and
> umount it after, but that didn't work.
> I think the kernel didn't like that.
> If I do it manually it works fine.

Usually this is because you haven't specified the full path to the mount
command.  When you type the command at a shell prompt, you have a search
path that is searched for the command.  The webmin module probably doesn't
do this, so you'll have to enter the full path. i.e.:
/sbin/mount
ass opposed to just "mount"
You can use the "whereis" command to find the full path to the particular
command you're trying to run. i.e.
whereis mount
will tell you what directory 'mount' is in.

> Now is there another/better way of doing what I want to do?
> I was also thinking about using Cron to issue the commands.
> A script might do it, but I don't know anything about writing sripts.

It's not as hard as you might think.  For example, the following script
is a good template for what you're trying to do:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/mount_nfs 172.16.0.1:/remote/drive /mnt/temp
/bin/cp -Rp /path/to/backup /mnt/tmp/.
/sbin/umount /mnt/temp

Of course, you'll want to substitute the mount command that you need
(which may be at a different location) and the specific stuff you
want to back up, etc.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies