Date:      6 Feb 96 02:01:31 GMT
From:      peter@jhome.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time travelling news server

jgreco@solaria.sol.net (Joe Greco) writes:

>Okay, I just had my "what the F***" experience of the week.

>I noticed some strangeness on my news server "news.sol.net".  While
>examining it, I typed "date" and got

>hummin# date
>Sun Jan 15 02:51:14 CST 1928

>WHAT?????????

>I quickly compiled a printf("%ld\n", time(NULL)) and got:
>-1324220930

>Now, xntpdc was happily chugging along on the system.  Matter of fact, when
>I killed it and did an "ntpdate ntp2.sol.net", it claimed a very small
>offset from ntp2.sol.net....  maybe a complete (or half, negative) wrap-around?

I saw this behavior on -current a month or so ago about when PHK was doing
the bcd stuff..  If I remember rightly, the spammed date got written into
my CMOS.

>It's been a week for problems with my news box.  :-/

Are you running -current or -stable on it?  My news box has been doing
wonderfully well under a new -current kernel (from Jan 11). It's currently
got an uptime of 24 days (which is a record for the -current FreeBSD
machines here).  This machine used to crash every few days before that last
update.  It's only a garden-variety hardware box though.. (486, ISA,
AHA1542CF)  It's keeping up with it's load but has no spare disk bandwidth at
all - it's running at near 100% head seek saturation 24 hours a day and is
going to need an upgrade (more disk, more RAM) soon.

-Peter