Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:35:59 +0400
From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@gerpa.ru>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   localization of unix apps (russian)

Hello!

I am really sorry to bug you all about this localization issue, but
the fact is that i cannot find any good web site about it where
i can discuss the matter with live people. And USNET is not
accessible for me. So, if you can help - do so, please.

MY CONFIG:
 FreeBSD 3.4/ X 3. something (the one from 3.4 packages).
 KDE 1.1.2 (from packages), Russian X-fonts, RUssian
 locate/language is set up nicely/INternationaly keyboard in KDE
 works find (switching via CTRL-SHIFT).

1) Xemacs

I am using Xemacs MULE 1.1 (patch8) and when i try to
input russian all i get is: "cyrillic_## not defined"
When i load a file with russian letter i get greek (obviously
xemacs uses the font w/o russian letter). When i select
"SHOW MANY LANGUAGES" i get tildes instead of russian.
and shows "Unable to instanciate font face. font - warning charset
cyrillic iso 8859-5"

2) Xemacs (menus)

The above mentioned xemacs shows up with menu font too
large for some menus to fit on the screen (3-rd level menus
fall of the screen on the left or on the right). How do I set
a smaller font for menu titles/items?

3) Xemacs (perl editing function menu)

Somehow  on my prev. machine where xemacs 19.xx (MULE too)
was installed i got that very usefull FUNCTIONS menu when editing
perl source. And now i do not seem to be able to get it. HOw do i
turn it on?

4) All Apps/Games submenus are grayed out.

Did i miss something when installing it Xemacs from package? Maybe
there is an additional package with app/games for xemacs?

5) Kwrite

I just do not see russian letter in Kwrite. This is reallt weird, because
i all prev times Kwrite never gave any headache with russian.

6) AbiWord
I also installed AbiWord. I just wondering if there is a way to make
it type/show russian and especially in win1215 encoding? (for msword files)

7) Netscape

Netscape seems to be okay when showing russian on HTML pages, but
when it comes to showing tips or address in Messager (email)  it always
shows greek. Any way to make it use a font with russian letter for menu items/
text windows/tip texts/e.t.c?

8) Office suit

I was wondering if there is an office application suit  (say, Star Office) which
can read MS OFFICE files and also can work with russian (namely win1251
encoding).

9) X fonts

As i undertstand  even thought i installed package with russian
X-fonts, still not all font contain russian and many programs use
just them. Is there a full set of X fonts which substitute the standard
one, so ALL fonts contain russian. Or is it too bad thing to do?

Damn it, how long would it take for X and apps for it
to be fully localizable? 10 years?

Artem Koutchine (Артем Кучин)