Date:      Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:09:23 +0100
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   gbde - destroying master key without lockfile

Hello,

I would like to use gbde to encrypt some disks. Using an external lockfile
things work pretty much as documented (except for some options that aren't supported
by the tool, but which are listed in the manpage). However, for this particular
situation, I do not want to use an external lockfile.

The manpage seems to imply that without -L/-l, the first sector is used as a lockfile.
Indeed, I can init, attach and detach devices without an external lockfile. However,
when I attempt to destroy the master key:

 # gbde destroy /dev/label/storage304
 Enter passphrase:
 Opened with key 0
 gbde: No -L option and no space in sector 0 for lockfile

Trying to use -L for this particular operation fails:

 gbde: illegal option -- L
 Usage error: Invalid option

And trying to specify "-n -1" as the manpage says also fails:

 gbde: illegal option -- n
 Usage error: Invalid option

So the question is - how do I destroy the master key (other than dd if=/dev/zero of=...)
when not using an external lockfile?

(The reason I do not want to use an external lockfile is simply that I do not see a need
for it in my situation and I would feel much more comfortable if the gbde volume was
self-contained; no need to backup anything else or keep it in synch.)

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org