Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2017 13:33:30 +0200
From:      Julien Cigar <julien@perdition.city>
To:        Frank Leonhardt <freebsd-doc@fjl.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fun with HAST and inter-host connections

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 10:40:03PM +0100, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
> Please note - I'm pushing what can be done with commodity hardware for=20
> amusement here, and trying to do interesting things with FreeBSD. I *do*=
=20
> want to do it this way.
>=20
> Okay, so the game is this: I've got some identical hosts with disks and=
=20
> I've been working on ways of clustering them for a long time. It's what=
=20
> I do for fun, right?
>=20
> I'm currently playing with failover storage. Not necessarily with HAST;=
=20
> iSCSI is fun and I'm messing with geom stuff in general. But let's stick=
=20
> with HAST as it illustrates the dilemma.
>=20
> When I started this game, 1Gb Ethernet was blistering. Now it's not so=20
> hot. How do I "network" the hosts with as much throughput as possible=20
> (with IP sockets, preferably)? Options:
>=20
> 1) 10Gb Ethernet is expensive. 10Gb switches even more so, but I can do=
=20
> point-to-point.
>=20
> 2) LAG is more about failover than speed. And anyway, you end up needing=
=20
> a lot of Ethernet ports on each host and it soon gets crazy.
>=20
> 3) Fibrechannel - if I bought a few old (cheap) fiberchannel cards, I'm=
=20
> not sure how I could use them point-to-point. Is this possible and has=20
> anyone done it?
>=20
> 4) USB 3.1. 10Gb. PCIe cards cost about $30. Now this sounds fun. IP=20
> over USB anyone?
>=20
> Now please don't advise me to get a pair of fabric switches and do the=20
> job properly. That's not what this is about. I want to see if it's=20
> possible to make a fast(er) storage solution using cheap components. A=20
> sort of Redundant Array of Inexpensive NAS.
>=20
> Thoughts anyone? In particular, is the USB 3.1 idea crazy? And is anyone=
=20
> else crazy enough to be trying the same thing?

I've set up a low-cost redundant storage here at work with ZFS + iSCSI,
basically a zpool mirror over 2 local disks and 2 iSCSI disks. Failover
is done through CARP and devd. It works well (except when Jumbo Frames
are turned on) for almost a year now. Just for extra security, and also
because some people (smarter than me in this area) advised me against=20
this approach, I've setup a third node with ZFS replication (zrep).
Basically if you can afford to lose "some" data, I would suggest to go
with ZFS replication.