Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:05:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        Bryce <brycemott@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ISP Connection problem - ADSL

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Bryce wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Im a freeBSD newbie & have been struggling for some
> time to get my adsl connection working on Freebsd
> 5.2.1 Release. I've tried many suggested
> configurations for /etc/ppp/ppp.conf, and /etc/rc.conf
> & read relevant chapters from 'Complete FreeBSD' & the
> handbook, but my connection still dies before reaching
> the LCP phase.
>
> Im using an Alcatel Speedtouch 530 Modem connected to
> Ethernet. My ADSL connection is fine in Windoze
> however the configuration for the modem is usually set
> through a web-browser. Do the modem settings(done via
> browser) affect the connection in FBSD or does the
> system simply take the settings from ppp.conf etc? Im
> somewhat confused on this point. I can ping the modem
> at 10.0.0.138 and can open the web interface in X.
I believe your alcatel speedtouch (although I have never
seen one) isn't a modem, but a router. So you don't have
to mess around with ppp . You simply set it as default
gateway and dns server in /stand/sysinstall --> Configure
--> Networking --> Interfaces --> and select you NIC.

Or - if you prefer this - have a look at your Complete
FreeBSD and edit /etc/rc.conf manually.

Greetings,

Uli.

 	|    Peter Ulrich Kruppa    |