Date:      Sun, 07 Jul 2002 14:15:30 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dan Moschuk <dan@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

Dan Moschuk wrote:

> I don't think using an archive format like zip would be a step in the
> right direction.  If the package file format were to be redesigned, I would
> vote for a custom header prepended to a bziped tarball.

What is it about working on ports that makes people automatically
gravitate to the most hideous, complicated solutions? Why not just
create a tarball with the stuff to install, create the metadata file (in
whatever format), then create a tarball with the two together? Then,
step one is to unroll the tarball, read the metadata, grab dependencies
if needed, then proceed to do the rest of the install.

Before you start saying, "THAT WON'T WORK," please understand that I've
already used this exact technique in 3 different projects, including
windows, OS/2, and unix platforms.

Doug