Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 07:06:36 -0800
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@EnContacto.Net>
To:        Gerardo Amaya <gamaya@delaluz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq presario 1700

Quoting Gerardo Amaya <gamaya@delaluz.net>:

> Hello all, I'm installing FreeBSD on my Presario 1700 and I got some
> trouble. I really need help with these
>
> First of all I got a ATI radeon I try to run it with XFree and does not
> work. When I run SuperProbe It can not detect the chip
> I already heard that there is a radeon driver but I can't find it.

First of all I'm running current 5.0 so YMMV on what I tell you but there
shouldn't be too much difference:-)

I haven't run SuperProbe for a while, I have been using X -configure and
then using the generated values to manually do a xf86config.
I'm sending you a copy of my /etc/X11/XF86Config  Since current uses
devfs you may have to change the mouse setting but everything else should
work.  I'm recognizing the card as an ATI Mach64 hopefully compaq hasn't
made any changes.

> Also my NIC is not detected. AFAIK compaq only uses intel pro NICS I
> really can not tell why it does not see it.

First be sure that you have
device          miibus
device          dc
in your kernel config file.   I think GENERIC has it by default if you
are not used to compiling kernel.

In my /etc/rc.conf I have
ifconfig_dc0="inet 24.20.19.75 netmask 255.255.255.128 media 100baseTX"
                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm not sure that  media 100baseTX is necessary I haven't tried
without it because it works :-).

BTW, you may want to add the following in your /boot/
snd_maestro3_load="YES"
For you sound card.  You can load it manually if you prefer with
# kldload snd_maestro3

I also have to usr mixer volume controls to get the volume up to hear
the speakers.  I usually set it for about 85.

Provecho,

ed

P.S.  If this doesn't get you there, I suggest that you attach the output
from dmesg and X -configure, at least.  Suerte.

> If somebody have the same problem, please mail me, I really need to get
> it work as fast as possible.
>
> I try with FreeBSD 4.3 STABLE and RELEASE
>
> thank you
>
> Gerardo

---