Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:22:34 -0300 (ART)
From:      gkullak@fi.uba.ar
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipnat of ipfilter crash with too many mapping?

Hi!
I'm running FreeBSD 4.10 with ProFTP,Apache, Tomcat, Samba, Squid,SSH
Server, MySQL and PostgreSQL.
This machine is direct connected to Internet and is a firewall for an
internet LAN.
For firewall I am using ipfilter (ipf and ipnat).

                                                     |-> 172.16.0.2
 Internet ---> (200.0.0.1)FreeBSD Box (172.16.0.254) |
                    fxp0                   fxp1      |-> 172.16.0.3

Te problem is that when I run Overnet from 172.16.0.2, the NAT die.
What it mean: FreeBSD run transparent proxy to Squid in port 8080. ipnat
redirect all request to outside 80 to 8080.
This work fine but when I start Overnet the nat table begin to grow up to
600 mapping!!!
The bandwith of my Internet connection is of 512Kbps.
If I view the system status (top), the system was normal = 98% iddle.

I am really thinking that ipnat daemon work not to fine for this type of
connection, because in my work I have the same schema with more machines
in the LAN but for firewalling I am using "iptables" in Red Hat Linux 7.3
box with 2 overnet programs runnig in diferents machines and the
connection never die.

I refer in all case to "connection", but I don't know if the die is the
connection, the system, the ipnat program or other thing.

I try ipnat compiled in the kernel and i try ipnat loaded like module in
rc.conf (actual form).

The really thing is that when I stop the overnet and run "ipnat -CF -
/etc/ipnat.rules" for flush and reload the NAT rules, the connection run
fast again.

Example: If it running Overnet in 172.16.0.2 and I want to start
RealPlayer for listen a radio channel in 172.16.0.3 and got an error (can
not connect). In this same case, I try to navegate to www.yahoo.com, but a
got "Page not found" (remmeber transparent proxy use ipnat to resolve).
But in this situation, I set to use the proxy server in Internet Options
of my browser, the Yahoo page load (slow but load).

I know that Overnet use very much bandwith of Internet connection, but I
am thinking that ipnat not work very well with this type of load.

For probe I will go to try putting a Red Hat Linux box to manage the NAT
and look if work better.

Do you have another idea that I can try to resolve the problem?

Thanks!

Regards.