Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 14:26:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ttyv problem

Hi all,

I have a question - I am getting the following error constantly in the
console log:

	Feb 23 14:13:19 peloton init: getty repeating too quickly on port
/dev/ttyv4, sleeping 30 secs

I looked at init's man page and found the following:

DIAGNOSTICS
     getty repeating too quickly on port %s, sleeping
     A process being
     started to service a line is exiting quickly each time it is started.
     This is often caused by a ringing or noisy terminal line.  Init will
     sleep for 10 seconds, then continue trying to start the process.

In /etc/ttys I have the following stuff for ttyv's:

ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off secure
ttyv4  "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"   xterm   on  secure

Finally, I have the following from dmesg:

sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>

(I show this because previously someone suggested I may not have enough
virtual consoles)

Does anyone know how to correct this?

Brett Taylor		brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu