Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 2021 09:02:52 +0200
From:      Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To:        Jim Trigg <jktrigg@gmail.com>, "ports@FreeBSD.org Ports" <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Portsbase and maildir

On 08/04/21 07:27, Jim Trigg wrote:
> I am going to submit that PORTSBASE should be something other than
> /usr/local/. My current preference (though not solid) is /ports/. I
> would like to reclaim /usr/local for true local (site-based, not
> distribution-based) things. (Example: local [site-based] scripts in
> /usr/local/s?bin/.)

Not sure if PORTSBASE is the name of what you mean, Looks like you mean
PREFIX and LOCALBASE. You can redefine those if you want your ports to
be installed in a different path than the default.

> On a related note, I would like to see maildirmake separated out as a
> port of its own on which ports supporting Maildir depend. That way we
> avoid clunkiness like "/usr/local/bin/maildrop-maildirmake". (The first
> point most recently evidenced itself as "where do I put a symbolic link
> to maildrop-maildirmake called maildirmake?".)

As the maintainer of maildrop and other related ports, I am installing
it like that to avoid conflicts with other ports installing the same thing.

Please note that mail/courier-imap installs it as bin/maildirmake.
ports/pkg do not provide an official way to create symlinks, anyway the
two executables are completely equivalent.

Upstream does not provide maildirmake as a separate package and I'm only
following upstream practices. As I stated in the past, my opinion is
that ports is just that, ports, not a place for original development.

If you'd like to extract maildirmake from the courier ports as a
standalone package I have no objection, you can do that and submit a
port of the result, providing upstream tarball and all.

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>