Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 02:46:55 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why does adduser(8) rearrange my /etc/group?

I like to keep my /etc/group file broken into sections: the default
GIDs, user GIDs, and GIDs for things like segregating access to parts of
filesystems and for run-as daemon's I've installed.  Whenever I add a
user with adduser(8), and add a group in the process, the script
rearranges my /etc/group file, sorting by GID.  Why does it do this, and
is it really necessary?