Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 02:01:57 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        toasty@home.dragondata.com (Kevin Day), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: identd broken?

>Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Kevin Day had
>to walk into mine and say: >
>
>> Identd hasn't seemed happy on my system lately...
>>
>> Jan 27 14:40:05 shell identd[3904]: getbuf: bad address (00000014 not in f0100000-0xFFC00000) - ofile
>[chop]
>
>> Is this new, or am I doing something wrong?
>>
>> I've rebuilt the world, and identd several times. :)
>>
>> Kevin
>
>David Greenman recently committed some code that modifies the way PCBs
>are handled. He mentioned in the commit log message that it would be
>necessary to recompile things like netstat (and fstat) to make them happy
>with the new structures and routines. If recompiling identd on a newly
>bootstrapped world (i.e. with all the new headers in place so that
>identd can get at them) doesn't cure the problem, then the identd
>code probably needs to be tweaked to accomodate the changes. Normally
>Normally things like this make me grumble a bit, but according to
>David's observations, these changes improve performance quite a bit.
>Unfortunately, you have to be prepared to expect breakage with programs
>like identd which grope around inside kernel structures.
>
>Come to think of it, somebody might want to check and see if lsof still
>works too.

   The changes that I made won't affect things which look at file related
structures - only networking structs. John might have made changes that
affect those things, however, although I doubt it.
   identd should be happy after it is recompiled; I can't explain why it
wouldn't be. The changes I made should not have caused any source code
incompatibilities.

-DG

David Greenman