Date:      Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:48:11 -0500
From:      Skylar Thompson <skylar@cs.earlham.edu>
To:        Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3@grant.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disappearing snapshots

--------------enig35AFD7AFEE4E8DBACEEB329B

Michael Grant wrote:

>I've been playing with snapshots (mksnap_ffs) recently.  I've got a
>script which does a daily snapshot and keeps 7 days of history.  Last
>night, the machine crashed and when it came back up, all the snapshots
>referred to the current view of the disk, i.e. I lost the 7-day
>history.
>
>I'm running 5.3-release.
>
>Has anyone seen this?  Snapshots should persist beyond reboots,
>shouldn't they?
>
>(Yes, I am doing the mdconfig and remounting the snap.)

I haven't seen this specifically, but I have noticed a fair amount of
instability related to the snapshot code. I've managed to crash
5.2-RELEASE through 5.4-RELEASE by keeping too many snapshots, or
hammering the disk while taking a snapshot, or having a filesystem with
lots (close to a million) of files.

Have you tried fscking the disk manually from single-user mode?

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar@cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/