Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 19:55:29 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Security <security@freebsd.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH or Telnet?

* Chris BeHanna (behanna@zbzoom.net) [020329 19:05]:
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 ark@eltex.ru wrote:

> > What's wrong with telnet? I use it frequently and i am pretty satisified with
> > it.
> >
> > (I don't need to encrypt sessions, there is no sensitive information inside.
> > Don't tell me about cleartext passwords, there are no cleartext passwords.
>
>     Have a look at ethereal or dsniff.  You will be surprised.
>
> > And if you really need encryption you may run telnet over ipsec)
>
>     IPsec is a VPN solution.  If someone in the LAN to which you're
> VPN-ing is running a sniffer, then what?
>
> --
> Chris BeHanna
> Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)
> behanna@bogus.zbzoom.net
> I was raised by a pack of wild corn dogs.

Our unsuspecting user logs in to the nameserver to update the pornserve.domain.com
zone record for the new porn server (yay!).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
roo@rain:~> telnet fog
Trying 10.0.0.50...
Connected to fog.DOMAIN.
Escape character is '^]'.

HP-UX fog B.11.00 A 9000/712 (t0)

login:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MEANWHILE, IN THE CAVE OF EVILDOERS!

Joe Deluer, Evil Hax0r Extrodinaire, listens closely on an upstream link...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
dsniff: listening on fxp0
dsniff: trigger_tcp: decoding port 23 as telnet
-----------------
03/29/02 19:42:33 tcp rain.macguire.net.1392 -> fog.macguire.net.23 (telnet)
roo
test123
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ah Ha!", says Joe, "I will 0wn j00 my pretty and your delicious pr0n too!".

---

"... there are no cleartext passwords."

DESCRIPTION
	dsniff  is  a  password sniffer which handles FTP, Telnet,
	SMTP, HTTP, POP, poppass, NNTP, IMAP, SNMP, LDAP,  Rlogin,
	RIP,  OSPF,  PPTP  MS-CHAP, NFS, VRRP, YP/NIS, SOCKS, X11,
	CVS, IRC, AIM, ICQ, Napster,  PostgreSQL,  Meeting Maker,
	Citrix  ICA,  Symantec  pcAnywhere, NAI Sniffer, Microsoft
	SMB, Oracle SQL*Net, Sybase and Microsoft SQL protocols.

--
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)