Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:46:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tunings for many httpds...

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Patrick Thomas wrote:

> Two things about this interested me:
>
> a) watching `top` output anytime of the day, i see several httpd processes
> in "sbwait" - granted I can only see 40 lines of processes or so in `top`,
> but usually at least two show "sbwait".  Worrisome ?

sbwait is _NOT_ necessarily a bad thing.  A httpd sending data to someone
on a modem will show this most of the time, as it is waiting for ACKs
coming back from the other end.  mclalloc is the state you should be
worried about seeing: it does mean that you have run out of mbufs.

> Is it possible that within 30 seconds or so current mbufs would skyrocket
> and my percentage of mb_map in use would skyrocket and I would start to
> see requests for memory denied ?
>
> All comments appreciated.
>
> --PT

I doubt it.  The problem probably lies elsewhere.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack