Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:57:57 +1100
From:      Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   5-port (NEC) USB-2.0 PCI card support?

Hi all,

I bought a cheap 5-port USB-2.0 PCI card the other day, to plug
an external hard disk drive into my aging P3/500 system.  It is
branded "Swann", and consists essentially of a single NEC D720101GJ chip.

I'm running 5.4-STABLE (
FreeBSD gurney.reilly.home 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Thu Dec 29 20:48:25 EST 2005     root@gurney.reilly.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GURNEY  i386
)

with essentially a stock GENERIC kernel, but with ehci compiled
in (it's commented out in GENERIC).

Needless to say, it wasn't detected, or I wouldn't be writing
this message.

Does anyone have any hints or suggestions?

Might this be a case of adding a specific ID number to an
existing driver, or am I just out of luck?

The packaging claims to be complient with OHCI spec 0.95 and
EHCI spec rev 0.95, which doesn't inspire a whole lot of
confidence, considering that the driver man pages specify spec
1.0 versions.  All the kernel seems to see is an unidentified
bridge:

pci0: <bridge> at device 7.3 (no driver attached)

And even the BIOS doesn't mention it in the pre-boot PCI
interrupt assignment scan (which doesn't bode well, I suspect).

Thoughts, suggestions?

Cheers,

--
Andrew