Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 1995 10:48:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bmk@dtr.com
Cc:        wwong@wiley.csusb.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS problems...

> > Besides, why doesn't FreeBSD have NFS file locking?  Is it because it isn't
> > supported yet?
>
> My understanding is because Sun has poorly documented the protocol.
> It's very difficult to code something when you have neither a
> specification, nor an existing implementation (in source form) to
> work from.
>
> Nevertheless, I believe someone is working on it.

There is someone in England doing the daemon pieces.  I already did the
kernel pieces, but though the patches were posted to -hackers and -current,
they have not been integrated.

The last status on the user space pieces was that he had it fully stubbed
and responding as iff all requests were granted.  That is, the full
protocol layer was implemented -- the hardest part.

I will bug him for current status in the near future.

When complete, this will be the first source available NFS locking, ever.

Do not expect this to be complete any thime soon; it is a hell of a job
reverse engineering everything, and he has a real life, unlike some of
us.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---