Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:48:58 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU, kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu, rivers@dignus.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel Merced FreeBSD???

Wilko Bulte wrote:

> As Wes Peters wrote ...
> >
> > If you think Microsoft doesn't have 64-bit NT in development for Merced,
> > you're being awfully gullible.  Compaq was insisting that Alpha remained
> > the development platform for NT64 while dropping support for NT32 on the
> > Alpha last week, while Microsoft was griping about the decision and
> > talking about dropping Alpha as the NT64 development platform.  They can't
> > yet, of course, because they don't HAVE any Merced chips, but the writing
> > is on the wall...
>
> The trade rags here insist it has already happened: M$ stopped 64 bit Alpha
> NT. Beats me if it is true or not.

It doesn't seem likely, since they don't HAVE and Merced systems yet.  Perhaps
it has been "administratively cancelled" but the Alpha boxes won't "fall over"
until the Merced boxes arrive.  Or perhaps until NT actually *runs* on them.

;^)

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com