Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2019 19:27:31 +0300
From:      Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lockdown adaX numbers to allow booting ?

> On 19 Sep 2019, at 18:57, Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu> wrote:
>=20
> Hi!
>=20
>>> We have a system with 10 SATA disks. 2 disks are for the system,
>>> 8 disks drive a data pool 'bck', configured as raidz2, for backup =
purposes:
>>>=20
>>> bck    72.8T  38.7T  34.1T        -         -     1%    53%  1.00x  =
ONLINE  -
>=20
>>> The problem is that if all 10 disks are connected, the system
>>> looses track from where it should boot and fails to boot (serial =
boot log):
>=20
>> Why this order does change?  One would expect disks 0 and 1 to be OS =
disks and the rest for data???
>=20
> 0+1 are 2.5", and the initial setup was:
> - we installed system disks as zroot=20
> - shipped the box to the housing facility
> - booted and added the drives
>=20
> At that time we did not do additional tests about the disk/boot =
sequence
> etc.
>=20
>> Also the question is, what you mean with ???system looses track????
>=20
> I interpret the hang during boot as 'it looses track'. So I guess
> it tries to read the kernel from the wrong drives.

no, loader does probe disks to see which devices make up the pool and =
hung system is not about reading the kernel from wrong place.

I bet it is BIOS system? Since the raidz seems to be created =
partitionless, what version of freebsd are you using? BIOS up to date? =
can you test pool visibility in loader with  latest current usb/cd start =
- like press esc in menu and check lasdev -v (assuming you get to =
menu)=E2=80=A6 the same with uefi?

rgds,
toomas