Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 09:25:36 -0800
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        "'Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG'" <Hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RE: AIX going BSD

> From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
> Date: 1999-03-31 09:15:36 -0800
>
> >          Do you mean SunOS 5.x?  I think Solaris 2 == SunOS 5 (not
> > counting Solaris 7, of course :-}).  Also, I wouldn't be surprised
> > that OSF/1 incorporated some 4.4 stuff, but it really does predate
> > 4.4BSD.
>

> No, I mean SunOS 4.X which was BSD derived. Here's the history as I
> remember it- which could be totally wrong...
       This is what makes horse races :-}  I don't recall the
'merge' state, but I've never claimed infalibility (except when I'm
speaking Ex Cathedra :-}).

Regards,

Justin

> (late) BSD 4.1
>
> 	-> SunOS 1 (?)

> BSD 4.3 -> SunOS 4.0
>

> SunOS 4.X stuff (vnode/specfs) -> BSD 4.4
>

> SunOS 4.X stuff -> AT&T SVr4 merges in (VM and Specfs stuff)
>

> SVr4 -> (incoming! Aiee!) -> Solaris (SunOS 5.X)....
>

> And like the culture of that time, all without condoms...

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large *
Institute for General Semantics       |
Manager, CoreOS Networking            |   Men are from Earth.
Apple Computer, Inc.                  |   Women are from Earth.
2 Infinite Loop                       |       Deal with it.
Cupertino, CA 95014                   |