Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 01:12:18 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Nesbit <anesbit@aardvark.apana.org.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "kernel: stray irq 7"  errors while printing

I recently finished getting printing working under 4.0-RELEASE, but am
getting strange behaviour and error messages.

I have an HP LaserJet III plugged into lpt0 on irq 7 and the kernel is the
stock-standard 4.0-RELEASE GENERIC kernel. (Haven't got around to
recompiling yet, as everything so far seems to be OK, except for this, and
I also finished installing not long ago). I am running a single standalone
machine, connected to other computers only via ppp.

I have set up a very simple (but fully functional) /etc/printcap with
magicfilter-1.2 as my input filter:

spudgun|lp|lj3|hplj3|Hewlett Packard LaserJet III:\
	:sh:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/spudgun:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt0:\
	:if=/usr/local/libexec/magicfilter/ljet3-filter:\
	:lf=/var/log/spudgun.log:

My files actually do print properly, but the *problem* is that I cannot
cancel jobs... lpq won't do it, lpc wont't work, kill -9 'ing lpd then
restarting lpd doesn't work, neither does turning the printer off then
back on again. THe only solution is to reboot the computer.

While all this is going on the kernel spits out error messages such as:

Aug 15 00:07:33  /kernel: stray irq 7
Aug 15 00:08:02  /kernel: stray irq 7
Aug 15 00:08:28  /kernel: stray irq 7
Aug 15 00:12:34  last message repeated 2 times
Aug 15 00:12:34  /kernel: too many stray irq 7's; not logging any more

This is what's in my dmesg (but I got it from /var/log/messages):

Aug 14 23:07:00  /kernel: ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7
on isa0
Aug 14 23:07:00  /kernel: ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in
COMPATIBLE mode
Aug 14 23:07:00  /kernel: ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
Aug 14 23:07:00  /kernel: lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
Aug 14 23:07:00  /kernel: lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
Aug 14 23:07:00  /kernel: plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0

The system is still reasonably "pure". Apart from having installed a few
packages like magicfilter, ghostscript, and tcsh, the only way it differs
from a stock standard 4.0-RELEASE system is that it I've been trying to
set up printing.

Andrew Nesbit