Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:35:46 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Vinum] Stupid benchmark: newfsstone

On Wednesday, 11 November 1998 at  8:51:52 +0100, Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 1998 at 01:45:46PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> One point is that is doesn't aggregate transactions to the lower drivers.
>>> When using stripes of one sector it's doing no more than one sector
>>> transactions to the HDDs so at least with the old scsi driver there's no
>>> linear performance increase with it. That's the same with ccd.
>>
>> Correct, at least as far as Vinum goes.  The rationale for this is
>> that, with significant extra code, Vinum could aggregate transfers
>> *from a single user request* in this manner.  But any request that
>> gets this far (in other words, runs for more than a complete stripe)
>> is going to convert one user request into n disk requests.  There's no
>> good reason to do this, and the significant extra code would just chop
>> off the tip of the iceberg.  The solution is in the hands of the user:
>> don't use small stripe sizes.  I recommend a stripe of between 256 and
>> 512 kB.
>
> That's good for random performance increase - but for linear access a smaler
> stripe size is the only way to get the maximum performance of all
> disks together.

No, the kind of stripe size you're thinking about will almost always
degrade performance.  If you're accessing large quantities of data in
a linear fashion, you'll be reading 60 kB at a time.  If each of these
reads requires accessing more than one disk, you'll kill performance.
Try it: I have.

>>> I never checked if it's possible to do a stripe on differend sized
>>> disks as ccd can do.
>>
>> Do you mean 'different sized disks' or 'different sized subdisks'?
>> Different sized disks are no problem, of course, but 'different sized
>> subdisks' are.  I don't think that ccd could do this either; it would
>> leave a hole in the volume.
>
> I mean 'different sized subdisks'.
> CCD has the interleave description table for doing such things.
> It' described in sys/ccdvar.h .
> Say you have 3 100M subdisks and 2 200M Subdisks then CCD make a stripe
> on the first 500M with all 5 disks and on the last 200M with the remaining both.

Ah, *that*'s why it has an interleave table.  Score one for ccd.

>>> And ccd is more integrated into the rest of the system but the other
>>> things are working at least as good as with ccd.
>>
>> In which way is it better integrated?  It's available in exactly the
>> same way as ccd (unless, like you, you want RAID-5 :-)
>
> What I mean is - you edit /etc/ccd.conf and setup the partitions, ...
> Finaly you place an entry in /etc/fstab.

OK, with vinum you edit /etc/vinumconf and setup the partitions, then
you place an entry in /etc/fstab.  Not much difference.  OK,
/etc/rc.conf doesn't currently know about Vinum, and that's a thing I
can look at.

> You don't have to worry about loading an lkm or fsck, ...

Well, you either load an LKM or build a kernel.  And there's no
difference between ccd and Vinum as regards the necessity for fsck.

> Maybe I missed anything - but the last time I wasn't able to find any
> point for vinum in any rc file.

Yes, as I said, that's a valid point.   I'll sort it out Real Soon
Now.

Greg