Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 1996 03:47:44 +1100
From:      davidn@sdev.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        ache@nagual.ru
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Confused about locale

> About proposed implementation:
> /etc/LANG breaks POSIX. POSIX describes behaviour with and without
> environment variables exactly and specify default as "C" without
> env. variables, so env. variables must exists in any case.

Drats. :-)

> About idea:
> I dislike idea of "system default" locale, I like idea of "user
> default" locale instead!

Ok. There will be a way of achieving this shortly via login.conf.

> There must be some field into passwd which indicates current user
> startup locale which must be changeable by user via chpass.

The last part is more difficult. But the field is already there
in "class".

> > I haven't yet looked into what changes may be involved, but
> > they should be small and confined entirely (afaik) to libc.
>
> It is a very big mistake to run daemons with any locale != "C",
> some of them can even call setlocale(...,"") or check "LANG", etc
> variables, X11 f.e.

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freefall.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/