Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 2021 14:01:19 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        "Kevin P. Neal" <kpn@neutralgood.org>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making gmirror metadata cooperate with gpt metadata

On Feb 8, 2021, at 1:36 PM, Kevin P. Neal <kpn@neutralgood.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 05:55:58PM -0500, Paul Mather wrote:

>> To be honest, I don't remember what it does because I only use =
gmirror
>> for swap nowadays, but I have a sneaking suspicion from memory that =
it was
>=20
> Is this safe? I thought that gmirror could attempt to allocate memory, =
so in
> a low memory situation where you are swapping it could deadlock.

Actually, I always remember the flipside: there was a time when folks =
said not to swap to ZFS volumes because memory pressure from ARC could =
lead to increased paging out to swap that could lead to the sort of =
deadlock you mention due to even more memory pressure by ZFS.

I can't remember hearing any caveats about swapping to gmirror.

> Or did that only apply when using encryption?

I've never had an issue swapping to a gmirror'd swap partion, encrypted =
or otherwise.  I build my own packages via Poudriere, which usually =
guarantees giving swap a good workout. :-)

Cheers,

Paul.=