Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2000 14:54:31 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
Cc:        Tyler Spivey <tyler@wapvi.bc.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User-mounting floppies (was Re: stupid questions)

Marc Silver said on Jun  5, 2000 at 07:59:47:
> I still believe that for security reasons, only root should be allowed
> to add/remove file systems.  You're opening yourself to a world of hurt
> if you take this approach (imho).
>
> It all depends on how much access you want to give your users,
> how much you trust them, and how you weigh security Vs. ease of use for
> users.

Well, mounting floppies is likely to be an issue at all only on
desktop systems.  Quite likely the user *is* the administrator, and
just doesn't want to become root more often than necessary. So I don't
see much harm in telling people how to do this....  especially since I
couldn't find vfs.usermount in the sysctl man pages either.

Just my opinion, of course.

Rahul.