Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 10:22:23 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StarOffice...

On Mon, Sep 15, 1997 at 09:38:04PM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Hi...
>
> 	I'm running a current 3.0 system, and am wondering if anyone is
> having problems running StarOffice?

Well, yes.  It doesn't seem to like the name server.

> I've got linux_mod loaded, as shown by modstat. and try
> 'scalc3'...the process starts up, consumes a bunch of CPU and then
> slowly degenerates into an idle process...

I haven't quite seen that.  What I see is that it starts up, uses
about 4 seconds CPU time, then hangs for five minutes sending lookup
requests to the name server and ignoring the replies.  Then it gives
up and carries on working normally.

The other thing I see is that it continually uses CPU time, looping on
what looks like a sound card ioctl (I don't have a sound card in this
machine).  I can't see anywhere to disable the sound card--does
anybody else have an idea?

Greg