Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 1997 06:52:32 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@freebsd1.cimlogic.com.au>
To:        Alex_Wong@Scotiamarkets.com (Alex Ching-Yuen Wong)
Cc:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov, grail@functional.com, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Goals for the JDK port

Alex Ching-Yuen Wong wrote:
> However, support for kernel level threads won't be available till the
> 3.0-RELEASE, which is not supposed to show up at least by Q3 of 98. I am
> not sure about the -current branch, maybe they have some kinda alpha
> support on threads.

That is being worked on right *now*. There is some VM work that John Dyson
is going to do that will allow it to happen. Then there will be a
libpthread (and libc_r will die, along with all the non-blocking
file descriptor problems that has).

The kernel threads will support thread suspend/resume (as an extension
to POSIX) and thread start suspended like java requires.

> --
> cywong@BSD.dyn.ml.org

Regards,

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org; jb@freebsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137